In every year except 2001, only a few hundred people in the entire world have been killed by international terrorism outside of war zones. Add to that the fact that ordinary homicide vastly exceeds murders caused by terrorists – John Mueller – Terrorism Expert.
Surely natural Tragedies, medical disasters, accidental deaths cause lot more deaths than the above two combined– then why is terrorism tom tomed so much in media?
I read somewhere that that in Kashmir Indian army outnumbers terrorists 1000: 1 and still terrorism is our biggest threat – why? Could it be that the Kashmir terrorist is the asian avatar of Rambo or Terminator who can take on 1000s of trained army men at once?
Think – think. The truth can’t be as dumb as it seems.
How could a problem that is not even amongst top 10 causes of death seem bigger than everything else before it? How could such handful of terrorists hold the Indian republic at ransom? There have to be some more invisible hands helping the terrorists in their fight – isn’t it?
The facts are screaming the truth – says Mr 007!
Following groups are analogous to me.
The writer, the publisher and the reader.
The Porn star, the Porn Industry and the internet surfer.
The Terrorist, the media and the …. Yes YOU – the TV audience.
Here’s the Eureka moment! It feeds on you – you fool… its been doing so all along.
In media they say – it (the story) leads if it bleeds. Media loves the high octane human drama involving
blood, pain and the saga of human suffering. They are not in it for the high of dramatic reporting – but for the lure of advertising bucks. Shame shame.
But then it gets murkier – there’s someone who is buying this stuff – glued to the TV screen in comforts of the living room– knowing fully well that the likelihood of this happening to him is close to zero… - face it –You are the porn buyer, YOU are the child molester, YOU ARE THE TERRORIST.
The real face behind this ghastly game is YOU.
Think - who is ultimately paying for the non-stop media reporting of terrorist acts via the advertisers? And what could the terrorist achieve without the media coverage – which YOU are indirectly financing? If YOU switch off the TV and stop overreacting to the terrorist threats (remember its not even in top 10 causes of death) the game stops. Yes your heard it right – THE BLOODY GAME STOPS FOR GOOD! Simple huh!
Now we know why terrorists are appearing to be winning in Kashmir – how the struggle continues for 20 years. Who the invisible hands belong to – us. We are feeding it via media, advertisers and by being terrorized. We stop and they stop.
It’s time we understand that terrorists are using media (and therefore us) as weapons. A random round of gunshot, in some random town which kills less than 0.00001% (less than 100?) of population is not enough to shake the confidence of one billion people unless we contribute to it. And we are.
We must stop unintentionally aiding the terrorist – NOW.
I propose a few things
- Complete private channel blackout of terrorism coverage. State media – like DD – is generally responsible, slow and dull enough to take hype out of the equation. And such coverage will also protect our right to information
- If the above amounts to subversion of media then the private media should be allowed on one condition - no advertiser slots during the terrorist attack coverage. This will force media to avoid giving undue importance to such attacks – and more importantly will avoid reruns of stale images. (Terrorists watching this coverage must be relishing such star status – Additionally such coverage serves as the best recruitment advertisements for terrorist organization. Lets stop that as well.)
- As responsible citizens let’s switch off the TV sets and SHOW repelling behavior towards media which over covers it. They will automatically smell the coffee.
- I advocate strong web / internet filtering of terrorist messages.
- Most importantly public awareness campaign on tv and mass media making citizens aware about how terrorists are using media and mass terror through it to their advantage in this 21st century war.